We can all agree that stress is a big part of the end of the year, right? There is so much to do with so little time. On top of a hectic schedule, the season seems to slip by at turbo speed and suddenly we are into the New Year. Unavoidable crowds are everywhere, party invitations are rolling in, and then there is the stress of hosting the holiday meal at your house this year. The holiday magic seems to disappear, but it doesn’t have too! This season is meant to be one of love, joy, family and friends. Instead of allowing stress to overtake you this season, enjoy these tips for combating stress and enjoying your last few days of the year:
1. Focus on the good. What is happening around you today? What are you grateful for?
2. Listen and honor what your body is asking you for. Instead of reaching for another cup of coffee, take a 15-minute power nap and recharge your batteries the natural way.
3. Don’t expect too much of yourself. Be realistic with your time and goals this season, which will help minimize stress levels.
4. Delegate tasks to others. Is your to-do list overflowing? Ask for help from your partner, your children, a friend or co-worker to cross some tasks off of your list.
5. Be careful with overspending. Financial health is an incredibly important part of your overall health, and certainly correlates to the level of stress you are experiencing. Don’t set yourself up for failure with your finances.
6. Stop negative self-talk. Be very aware of the words you choose to use; they directly affect your mood and stress level. For example, instead of saying “I have to cook dinner tonight for my family,” say “I get to cook dinner tonight for my family.” See how that takes the thought from being a chore to being of service to those you love? Your words and thoughts are very powerful.
Take action this week by practicing one or more of these tips to minimize your stress levels and enjoy a healthy, satisfying holiday.
Is reclaiming your health a desirable resolution for you in the New Year? I would be honored to become your wellness guide and accountability partner. I will support, educate, inspire and encourage you on your path to ideal wellness. I aim to provide a safe place and time to learn about proper nutrition, set realistic and achievable goals, explore your relationship with food and self, as well as promote healthy lifestyle balance. Contact me today for a complimentary consultation and learn about a variety of programs to help make your good intentions a reality in 2015.
Did you enjoy this article? Click here to subscribe to my Wellness Newsletters and learn about new health coaching options.
Sara Wolfsen is a Certified Health Coach who specializes in helping people make their own healthy changes by providing private health coaching, nutrition education and wellness classes, and gentle weight-loss guidance and support. Schedule your complimentary coaching session and learn more online at www.sarawolfsen.com.